eduMedia is going free during the Covid-19 crisis. Click here ⚠
The Golden Gate Bridge was built in 4 years.
- Where: San Francisco (United States)
- Opening ceremony: May 27, 1937
- Central span: 1280 m
- Total length: 2737 m
- Height of towers: 227 m (of which 67 m under the span)
- Weight of the steel: 894,500 tons (2.5 Empire State Building)
- Number of rivets: 1,200,000
- Number of steel wires: 27572 in each cable
- Length of a cable: 2332 m
- Diameter of a cable: 92.4 cm
- Length of work: 4 years
- Cost: 27 M$ (US Dollars)
- Human toll: 11 deaths (a record at the time) - 19 lives saved thanks to the Safety Net
The Golden Gate is a suspended bridge (See eduMedia animation on different types of bridges).
Click on the pins of the timeline to open the pictures.
Click on the picture to zoom in.
- Summarize and simplify the main steps when creating a work of art.
- Discover an exceptional industrial heritage.
- Promote careers in civil engineering.