eduMedia is going free during the Covid-19 crisis. Click here ⚠
Structure of Volcanoes HTML5
There are two kinds of volcanoes: one kind with violent eruptions producing steep slopes and the other kind with voluminous lava flows producing gentle slopes
The character of volcanic eruptions are largely controlled by the viscosity of the magma. Indeed, low -viscosity magma:
- flows more easily than high viscosity magma
- allows gases to escape easily whereas gas pressures can build up in high viscosity magmas.
Those two reasons explain why stratovolcanoes result in violent eruptions.
Click on a view to enlarge it.
- To distinguish effusive eruption from explosive eruption.
- To name the parts of a volcano.
- To describe the sequence of an eruption.
Volcanic activity occurs by the expulsion of surface magma (molten mineral material containing solids and gases elements) from a reservoir (or magma chamber) located several kilometers…
Subscribe now to read more about this topic!